On yesterday’s soap post, I mentioned I had some honey left over in the pan, so I decided to use up those leftovers in soapmaking. I don’t know about you, but a panful of honey isn’t a common sight in the house for me, so I guess that demands some explanation: honey and walnut cookies!
To be more specific, the recipe was described as a medovik – an old Russian cake traditionally consisting of layers of honey biscuit and cream, often decorated with walnuts. The end product had to be easily portable and shareable for me though, so I decided to just make the biscuit layers and add crushed walnuts into the pastry. What could go wrong?
It started off quite well with boiling the honey.
What honey we had had crystalised, but it turned out to not be a problem: heating it up made it go all clear and runny. In fact, that’s probably why the recipe instructed me to do that, so that it would make the mixture manageable and malleable.
Plus an added bonus was that the kitchen smelled very nice and homely from the process!
Next, of course, mixing in the flour. The quantity of the stuff required gave me misgivings from the start, as a 1:1 proportion with the honey seemed a little on the small side. The quantity or margarine was also laughably small, but at least the egg yolks and walnuts didn’t cause a problem.
The resulting quantity of dough was a little on the small side, but luckily I had plenty of ingredients to make a double batch.
Then, however, came the biggest problem. Tasting my handiwork, I found that my concerns with regard to flour quantity were correct, and the result was simply too sweet. One could probably eat it in portions the size of a thumbnail, but who’s ever heard of cookies being that small? I had to depart from the recipe and add a lot more flour (and margarine, to retain the consistency), but the leap of faith proved successful, and I soon had a batch of wonderfully aromatic cookies! Next time, I’ll need to measure out the modifications I make so I can share the recipe – the additions were all done by eye rather than by weight.
A small addendum:
You may have noticed that the recipe used egg yolks, which meant that there were whites left over. Those did not go to waste, however (as you might expect on an eco-blog), as adding in a couple more eggs, some milk and a dash of Provencal herbs and cheese over the top made a delicious omelette!
Small green life hack: if you have hard, stale bread, cut/crumble/snap it into chunks and add it into an omelette as croutons: it gives it more texture and makes the dish more filling, helping you get by with a little less snacking and preventing food waste!